When can I declare a major?
Students whose records are in the University College Academic Advising Office are eligible to declare a major when they meet the following requirements
- Completion of at least 30 semester hours
- A grade-point average of at least 2.0
- Credit for ENG 1000 or an equivalent course and credit for or current enrollment in UCO 1200 or an equivalent course
If a student knows that they have met the above requirements, then they can go and declare their major in sociology through the following webpage for the Registrar's Office: Officially Declaring Your Major.
Once the student officially declares a Sociology major, his or her records are forwarded to the College of Arts and Sciences and he or she will begin working with a department faculty advisor in the Department of Sociology.
The initial declaration of a major can be in 1 of 7 programs of study:
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology, Applied Research Concentration
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology, Criminology, Deviance, and Law Concentration
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology, Families and Intimate Relationships Concentration
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology, Gerontology Concentration
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology, Individually-Designed Concentration
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology, Social Inequalities
To declare a major in Sociology, please meet with your academic advisor or contact Dr. Cameron Lippard, Interim Chair, to fill out the necessary paperwork. Transfer Students should also make an appointment with the Dr. Cameron Lippard to evaluate your transfer credit and to map out a schedule for graduation.
Declaring a Minor in Sociology
A minor in sociology complements a variety of majors including psychology, history, political science, criminal justice, and business. Below are the requirements to declare a minor in Sociology:
- Consider the requirements for the minor (see the undergraduate minor page for more information).
- Meet with your Academic Advisor and fill out the appropriate section of the "Change My Major" form located in the Main Office of the Department of Sociology.
- Submit the form to the College of Arts and Sciences located in I.G. Greer Hall.