When can I declare a major?
Students whose records are in the University College Academic Advising Office are eligible to declare a major when they meet the following requirements
- Completion of at least 30 semester hours
- A grade-point average of at least 2.0
If a student knows that they have met the above requirements, then they can go and declare their major in sociology through the following webpage for the Registrar's Office: Officially Declaring Your Major.
Once the student officially declares a Sociology major, their records are forwarded to the College of Arts and Sciences and the student will begin working with a department faculty advisor in the Department of Sociology.
The initial declaration of a major can be in 1 of 8 programs of study:
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology, Applied Research Concentration
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology, Criminology
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology, Families and Intimate Relationships Concentration
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology, Health and Aging Concentration
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology, Individually-Designed Concentration
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology, Social Inequalities
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology, Power and Social Change
To declare a major in Sociology, please speak with your General College advisor or contact Dr. Amy Dellinger Page , Undergraduate Programs Director. You may also complete the form to declare or change your major here. If you are changing your major, you should speak with Dr. Page before completing the form to officially change your major. *Please be aware that changing your major may increase your time to graduation.
Declaring a Minor in Sociology
A minor in sociology complements a variety of majors including psychology, history, political science, criminal justice, and business. Below are the requirements to declare a minor in Sociology:
- Consider the requirements for the minor (see the undergraduate minor page for more information).
- Meet with your Academic Advisor and fill out the appropriate section of the "Change My Major" form located in the Main Office of the Department of Sociology.
- Submit the form to the College of Arts and Sciences located in I.G. Greer Hall.