All students seeking internships supported by the Department of Sociology and Appalachian State University for academic credit must adhere to the following guidelines:
Before beginning an internship, students must:
- Be a declared Sociology major;
- Completed at least 18 hours in Sociology courses and have senior standing (90 semester hours);
- Have an overall and major GPA of at least 2.0;
- Successfully completed SOC 4390 Applied Sociology Seminar;
- Submitted an internship proposal and received approval from the Internship Proposal Committee; and
- Signed and returned Internship Contract to the Internship Supervisor.
NOTE: A student cannot begin their internship until the first day of the semester for any semester selected.
During the internship, students must:
- Satisfactorily complete all requirements of internship experience that are required by the internship site and the Department of Sociology.
- Satisfactorily complete all requirements presented by the Department of Sociology Internship Supervisor, which may include:
- Providing weekly journals or summaries describing the experiences, responsibilities, and accomplishment of educational goals and particularly how these items relate to sociology. This will be facilitated by using an ASULearn electronic course site.
- Completing an internship-related project or paper for the agency or to demonstrate competencies relating student internship experiences to sociological knowledge.
- Submit mid- and final-evaluations by the agency supervisor to the Internship Supervisor.
- Submit signed time sheets or letter stating the number of completed hours at the mid- and final-terms from the agency supervisor.
- Participate in a mid-term site visit evaluation that includes a meeting (via phone, online, or in-person) between the Internship Supervisor, the student, and the agency supervisor.
NOTE: The intern is subject to the jurisdiction of all rules, regulations, and codes of conduct affecting students at Appalachian State University, as well as those that the site employer may require.
*In addition to these guidelines, student interns are required to pay a fee to have liability insurance while serving as an intern and for those who do their internship abroad, they must also purchase international health insurance through Appalachian State University to cover the student for the duration of the internship experience.